Book Recommendation Links:
Do you need a good book? Please stop by and get a personal recommendation. Or feel free to consult some of my favorite book lists linked here. The public library and local bookstores will help you find a good book, too.
- 100 Favorite Children's Books by New York Public Library.
- Top 100 Children's Novels -by School Library Journal
- 100 Best Children's Chapter books by Children's Books Guide
- Newbery Award Winners - Find here the best American novels chosen each year.
- Books for Boys - John Scieszka compiles a list of fun books that boys have approved and have loved. Give this list a try!
- Books for Strong Girls in Middle School
- Reluctant Reader Suggestions by CommonSenseMedia
- The Book Seer : Go here if you want to find another book similar to one you've already enjoyed. It is cool!
- BookHive : Your guide to children's literature and books. Arranged by genre and includes book reviews by other kids.
- California Young Reader Medal Winners: Consult this list for great suggestions!
- Lists by Subject : Lists organized by topics. You'll find something you like here!
- Lots of Lists : Links to many different book recommendations.
- Young Adult Books - Find links to 3 good websites for teen books. *Some of them are for high school aged readers, so choose wisely.
- Reading Suggestions for Kids, Teens, and Tween
- Independent School Suggested Reading Lists Presechool-12th Grade
Summer Reading Challenge Brochures
Kindergarten, First and Second Grades use their own 750 Page Challenge brochures. Third through Fourth Grades share a brochure. Fifth has its own and Sixth through Eighth Grades use the 1000 Page Challenge below.
Students who read 5000 pages are in the "Librarian's Circle" and enjoy unlimited library book check outs that year. Mr. Weiss has offered to take readers over 10,000 pages to lunch in the fall! Remember books must be age-appropriate.
- 2017 Kindergarten 750pg challenge
- 2017 First Grade 750pg challenge
- 2017 Second Grade 750pg challenge
- 2017 Third-Fourth 750pg challenge
- 2017 Fifth 1000pg challenge
- 2017 Sixth-Eighth 1000pg challenge
Note: Selznick's Invention of Hugo Cabret=285 pages. Wonderstruck=250 pages. The Marvels=211 pages. (Grades 5th and up for content).
Fourth graders and up must count half of the pages for books like Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Big Nate and Dork Diaries.